Chances are, since you’re reading this blog, you already care deeply about progressive issues like environmental protection, social justice, and equality. We are all painfully aware of the impending aggressive attacks on these values that we hold dear. Many ideals and individuals will be put in danger, so there’s never been a better time to step up your involvement and activism than now.
To that end, we have a few ideas and opportunities to share, right here in Humboldt County.
- Join the newly formed local chapter of the national organization SURJ (Showing Up for Racial Justice).
- Read about SURJ National.
- Read the Code of Ethics for Antiracist White Allies that guides SURJ’s work.
- Follow the local chapter on Facebook.
- Attend the local chapter’s next meeting on January 21st at 11:00 a.m. (location to be announced).
- If you’d like to be added to the Google Group for SURJ-Humboldt to participate in online discussions between meetings, request to be added here, or just reply to this email and ask to be added.
- Join the newly formed local chapter of 350.org
- Read about 350 National.
- Attend the local chapter’s next meeting on January 10th at 6:00 p.m. at the Labor Temple in Eureka (840 E Street).
- If you’d like to be added to the Google Group for 350-Humboldt to participate in online discussions between meetings, request to be added here, or just reply to this email and ask to be added.
- Join the local ACLU Chapter
The local branch of the ACLU is hoping to expand to meet the challenges ahead, and is recruiting new members (especially for its Board of Directors, though all are invited to participate).
If you are an ACLU member or are interested in becoming one, and would like to become involved locally, please contact Peter Martin by phone at 707-268-0445 or by email at email@example.com.The local chapter meets on the third Thursday of each month at noon at 1369 G Street in Arcata, so their next meeting is on 1/17. There is also an annual meeting scheduled for 1/23 at 6:00 p.m. at the D Street Neighborhood Center in Arcata.