There’s no way to sugar coat it. Things right now are bad. We know that many of you are super energized to get involved and fight for our shared values, and we’re writing today with one idea for how you can do just that.
Transforming our current national leadership to one guided by progressive values is going to take time. The actions we invest now will pay off over the long haul. One of the most important things we can do is to engage deeply at a local level. By shaping our local and state governments, we can push for the change we need from the bottom up.
The following vacancies are coming up in 2017 through the City of Arcata. If you or someone you know lives or works in the Arcata Planning Area, please consider applying for one of these positions. More information here.
- For the term beginning 5/1/2017 – 3 seats on the Open Space & Ag Committee (Members have knowledge of active and passive recreation, fish and wildlife, land trusts, local agricultural farming, watershed management, wetland/riparian ecology and economic land use policy.)
- For the term beginning 5/1/2017 – 2 seats on the Parks & Recreation Committee (Members have knowledge in recreational activities, parkland development, local and regional trails, the arts and other related activities.)
- For the term beginning 8/1/2017 – 2 seats on the Forest Management Committee (Members have knowledge of multi-resource forest management, which includes forest ecology, forest management, watershed management, wildlife, fisheries, botany and recreation.)
- For the term beginning 8/1/2017 – 1 seat on the Historic Landmarks Committee (Members have knowledge of Arcata’s social, built and cultural environment, or of design and building technology. Members do not have to live or work in the Arcata Planning Area.)
- For the term beginning 8/1/2017 – 1 seat on the Planning Commission (Members have knowledge of all areas of City planning and development.)
- For the term beginning 11/1/2017 – 3 seats on the Energy Committee (Members have knowledge of energy usage, conservation, regulation and/or generation.)
- For the term beginning 11/1/2017 – 4 seats on the Transportation Safety Committee (Members reflect, as much as possible, interest in all transportation modes, including pedestrian, bicyclist, mass transit and skateboarding.
- For the term beginning 11/1/2017 – 2 seats on the Wetlands and Creeks Committee (Members have knowledge of wildlife, fisheries, watershed management, wetland ecology, wetland/riparian botany, water quality, Arcata’s creeks, riparian areas, or wetlands and tidelands.